Prepare a list of simple and clear rules for your players and their parents. Conduct a preseason meeting to review these rules with both players and parents, go over other important information about the season, and to complete important administrative paperwork prior to the start of the sesason.
Consider the following as discussion topics:
- Schedules and locations for training sessions and games.
- Drop off and pick up times for training sessions and games.
- Player responsibilities and behavior at training sessions and games.
- Parent responsibilities and behavior at training sessions and games.
- Player equipment (#3 soccer ball, shin pads, soccer shoes or sneakers, water, appropriate clothing).
- Coaching equipment (#3 soccer balls, 25-30 cones, 10 vests/pennies, basic first aid kit, small cooler of ice and zip lock bags).
- Fill out program registration forms and medical release forms.
- The procedure for canceling training sessions and games. Let the parents know to check the Field Status page on the NBYSA website for cancellations.
- Your philosophy of coaching…it’s about player development, not winning and losing!
Provide proper age appropriate activities at training sessions and games.
Assure that training and playing areas are safe.
Make sure that all players are wearing the correct equipment and that it is appropriately sized.
Make sure that you are assisted by another adult when coaching the players (This includes the time when players arrive and when they depart from training sessions and games).
Create a plan for any medical emergencies/injuries.
Coaches must have their KidSafe Card visible at games and practices. If you do not have your card, you will not be allowed to coach until it is shown.